Saturday, May 4, 2013

Wise Words from a Classy Lady

“You can often change your circumstances by changing your attitude."

-Elanor Roosevelt 



Elanor Roosevelt is a women I greatly admire. She exuded strength, determination, and courage in the face of adversity. These words have always inspired me when things aren't going exactly as planned. When situations aren't going your way, it's easy to find the negativity in many things that surround you. A slight change in attitude can turn your world around. I found this quote a few years ago, and it got me thinking when I needed a change in perspective.

Right after I graduated from college, I was stuck in a job that I didn't particularly like with a boss that would find any reason to pick me apart. She once told me she drove to our store {I worked in retail at the time} an hour away from her house and looked in the window to see if I was giving the store enough energy. She definitively concluded from her view through the 2 foot gap in the wall that I did not create enough energy. I concluded she had superpowers the likes of which Superman has never seen. This everyday routine paired with a relationship that was on its last leg after six years of togetherness, made me a little jaded towards life and where it had brought me. But only for a month {maybe two}. Because that negative situation brought out in me the determination and drive that had been inside me my entire life, but seemed to be dormant for a few months. The shift in attitude led me to a truly wonderful place.

But shifting my frustration and anger into positivity and desire to better my position in the world, I set out on a career-finding campaign that would utilize the degree that I had pursued so passionately. Six weeks after the beginning of the dream-job search, I was called to an interview with an amazing company. Another month later, and I was giving my notice to the woman with superhuman energy sensing, and skipping out of retail land forever. I've now been in my dream job for a year and a half, and I have a few other surreal opportunities in the works right now. I honestly don't think I would be where I am today if I hadn't shifted my attitude and perspective from the negative to the positive. It's amazing what you can do when you change your frame of mind.

So thanks to a wise woman who inspired a young woman a few generations later who was not quite lost but needed a little push in the right direction.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGNED BY LET IT BE BEAUTIFUL