Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Serious, Irrational and Silly

It is my belief that humans are full of fears that can often be broken into three categories: Serious, Irrational, and Silly. Some fears are easily justified. Others are quite insane. 

Serious:
I'm terribly afraid of losing a member of my family. The idea of one of us being removed from our little family unit paralyzes me. My parents and brother have been my everything for 25 years. Though we have our ups and downs, good times and bad, we are perfectly imperfect. I can't imagine life another way. They are my constant in a life that has been always changing. This fear is a hard one for me to talk about because I can't quite articulate how completely terrified I am of this happening one day. No day is guaranteed, and with the tragedies that have hit close {literally and figuratively} to home lately, it makes me more aware and thankful for the gift of life and the cherished times with my loved ones. 

Irrational:
Snakes. I get goosebumps even typing the word. When I was 10 or so, my parents couldn't even say the word "snake" in front of me. If there is a snake on TV I put my hands, blanket, pillow -anything(!)- over my eyes and make someone tell me when it's over. I honestly don't quite know how this phobia ever started. I think I can attribute part of it to nightmares when I was a child, but who knows? It was further developed when I was left behind in a snake house at the zoo in middle school {how I was ever talked into that particular building is beyond me}. As I was trying to navigate my way out with my hand shielding my eyes so I could only see the floor, I thought I reached the exit only to take my hand away and look up to sanding face to face with the largest freaking boa constrictor ever. I've never been the same since. Just kidding.

Silly:
On a lighter note, I'm always afraid of having chapped lips. No one wants to be talking to someone who has dead skin flopping around their mouth. Nope. So I take precautions against this every day but applying Burt's Bees approximately three times an hour.

So there they are, the serious, the irrational, and the silly fears that fill my head. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of snakes myself. When I was little I was playing in the leaves and a snake wrapped itself around my ankle...I freaked out and kicked my leg, the snake went flying. It's funny to think about now, but at the time I was terrified!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had a snake slither across my foot while I was playing outside too! My phobia was already there, and I think that just made it worse. Funny thing was the snake was the size of a pencil, but I was still terrified!

      Delete

BLOG DESIGNED BY LET IT BE BEAUTIFUL