Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dear 2013

Dear 2013,

It's been a hell of a year.

And I mean that in the most flattering way.

thought 2012 was the best year. And it was, as of January 1, 2013. But this past year has topped it in so many ways.

I started the year knowing the direction I wanted my life to follow. I had regained my self-worth and confidence in ways that I had lost somehow a few years before, and was ready to conquer - in every sense of the word, both personally and professionally. I was ready for something new. A challenge. A change of pace.
{Moving to Newport was the biggest change of 2013}

The beginning of the year began much like the previous year had ended - busy with work, yet it held great potential. After a few months of waiting, I found out I would make a relatively short move down to the Rhode Island coast. Though small in scale, it was a welcomed change for me, both in my personal life and for my career. I already had a great affection for Newport, but the last six months have made me truly fall in love with the town. It's a place I could picture myself living again in the future...because this July I will be picking up and moving my little world again - this time a much greater distance. To where? I don't know...but stay tuned :)
{The daffodil field a sweet man made in memory of his beloved wife}

2013 was also the year of really, really horrible, disastrous dates. I mean terrible. So bad, that in September, I was halfway convinced that I am meant to be single with a dog and adopt a baby when I'm 35. Someday, I will regale you with stories of these really ridiculous, inappropriate, and panic inducing events that have led me to my cynical view of dating, in general. Luckily, I can look back and laugh on my romantic misadventures of the past year, but Lord, please don't do that to me again.

Every time I begin to lose my confidence in the male population, one of my friends meets a wonderful man who is everything she ever dreamed of {and more}. Then I also look at my father, who is the most decent, humble, and loving man I've ever met, and then my faith in the other sex is restored, and I resolve that the right man will come along when I'm ready for it. Not a minute sooner. And let's face it, I'm not quite there yet. Maybe 2014 I will be, but if it's not, that's quite alright.

{True to myself, I visited many a vineyard and shared my love here and here.}

I'm admittedly in a very selfish point of my mid-twenties, and I think selfishness is perfectly acceptable at this point in life. Let me take a step back and clarify - selfishness in pursuing the life you want is acceptable; selfishness when it hurts and harms others and their wellbeing is not. I'm talking about the point in life where you make the choices for yourself and you alone. Doing what you want to do and choosing a path that will {hopefully} lead you to life-long happiness. There are certainly missteps on these adventures, and we often must change direction. But ultimately, you cannot make others happy if you are not happy yourself. So choose the way that brings you the most joy, and the rest will fall into place.
{Apple picking at it's best.}

2013, thank you. Thank you. Thank You. For the incredible blessings, unbelievable opportunities, and the extraordinary adventures you brought with you. I still have a lot of living, seeing, and adventuring to do in my life, and I know the next year will bring so many more opportunities my way.

So, here's to 2014. May you be just as wonderful {if not better} than the last twelve months.
The Lady Okie Blog

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you had a great year. That's so awesome! I hope 2014 is even better for you and that you meet the man of your dreams :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I'm glad you re-found your self-worth. Been there, done that!

    I'm looking forward to seeing where you're going to move next! I love reading blogs from other places in the world. Helps me see places I would never see otherwise :)

    Also, about the finding a man part, don't you worry, there IS someone out there for you if that is what you want. Again, been there, done that. I know that feeling of thinking it "might be it". I met my husband when I was 31 (I'm 36 now). And one of my best friend, who is 37, and who had also *almost* given up and was getting ready for in vitro, HAS FOUND SOMEONE a few months ago! And they are perfect for each other. I swear, the wait will be worth it ;)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGNED BY LET IT BE BEAUTIFUL