Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas + Pizzelle Tradition









Merry Christmas, my friends.

It always boggles my mind how quickly the years go by. Each year seems to kick it up a notch and pass even faster than the previous year. I know everyone keeps saying this {to the point that I think we are all blue in the face}, but it's so true. I think people will be saying it until the end of time.

My mother's side of our family is Italian. Loud and proud, baby. Our family Christmas gatherings always include copious amounts of pasta, italian cookies, and delicious sauce. My mom and I contribute the traditional Italian pizzelles each year. Making these goodies is hands-down one of my favorite things about Christmas. I also love that we are sharing a part of our heritage with people we love.

My mother and I have been making pizzelles every year since I can remember. It's always our family gift to friends and neighbors during the holiday season. For those of you that haven't experienced the magic that is a pizzelle, it's a very light Italian cookie that is traditionally anise or almond flavored. We like to mix it up and make a lot of different flavors when we make these little pieces of heaven {think peppermint, cherry and raspberry}. This recipe is pretty close to our family recipe that we've had since my great grandparents came to the US from Italy. 

I truly hope each of you has the most wonderful Christmas if you are celebrating. If not, please know that the warmest thoughts and wishes are with you as I celebrate this joyous day. 

1 comment:

  1. They look adorable and sound delicious! What a great tradition :)

    jamiepilgrim.com

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGNED BY LET IT BE BEAUTIFUL