Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Aquidneck Growers Market








I am completely over-the-moon for a good farmers' market. I'm lucky to live in an area with abundant farmland - which makes it a perfect setting for local farmers to gather and sell their goods. Aquidneck Grower's Market is just a short drive from downtown Newport and one of my favorite stops on a Saturday morning. The market is sadly ending in a few weeks, but many of the vendors move their shops to other winter markets off the island {which gives me a good excuse to explore more corners of RI}. 

I am always absolutely stunned at how inexpensive and fresh the produce is at farmers' markets. I bought everything in the pictures below for less than $20, and it's enough to keep me fed for most of the week. The lettuce is enough for three large salads, and I have big plans to try out several squash recipes. I have been completely converted into one of those people who loves to take the time to cook with fresh, local ingredients rather than eating something pre-prepared that is highly processed and full of empty calories and fat. 




Elizabeth from Delightfully Tacky recently shared her experience with a CSA {Community Supported Agriculture}, and really got me thinking about the possibility of getting one myself. I was able to talk to some of the farmers at the market about doing a CSA next year. I am a huge advocate for supporting local initiatives and sustainable business, so this seems like something right up my alley. Can't wait to learn more and explore the winter markets in a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGNED BY LET IT BE BEAUTIFUL